Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make FollowHyperlink ReadOnly

Status
Not open for further replies.

apchambers

Programmer
Jul 17, 2003
GB
I am working in Access 2003 and have a form which opens a selected file using:

Application.FollowHyperlink odoc, , True

This works fine, however I now need to open the file as readonly for certain users. Does anyone know anyway to do this?
As these files can be added by a variety of users it is not possible to use the normal File/Directory Permissions as the files can be anywhere. The files can also be of many different types this cannot be predetermined as it is customer dependant.
Thanks

FollowHyperlink uses the default handler for a particular file format, so for example, DOC will open in Word, PDF in Adobe Reader, XLS in Excel, MDB in Access etc.

The only way is to run the file from a network server with appropriate file permissions based on group memberships. Talk to your network administrators to get this set up.

John

Hi John
Thanks for your comments. I was afraid this would be the case. I will tell the customers and hope that they secure their network to cover this. Was just hoping that I could also provide additional security for them.
Thanks
Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back