Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make file download to users PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindi

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
GB
I have a PDF that i wish users to download, at the moment when they click to download the PDF, if Adobe Acrobat is installed, the PDF opens in the browser, if Acrobat is not available, the user has to save the PDF to their PC. I wish the users to ONLY be able to save the PDF on their PC, how can i do this? i havent been able able to find any javascript to enable me to do this, please help!

Thanks

Hi,

My idea for that : Try to zip the pdf file, make an executable file for that pdf to be automatically extracted in users desktop, all of these can be done using winzip. You'll give a link for that executable file for the purpose of downloading and since that's an exe file, users may not have any winzip program to extract it.

Hope to help!

hi

a good idea is to print a message like this above the link :
"Right click on the link and choose save target as...".
when ur users do that they'll always save the file to hard disk rather than opening it online.

luv
Karthik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back