Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make existing form entries read only and allow new entries on form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spott

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
I have a form that shows trouble reports on equipment. It brings up any existing entries first so people don't enter the same thing twice, they have to scroll through or press a "new" button to start a new entry. Problem: they can type over the existing entries! How can I make existing entries read only (even if I can lock one field once it's entered it would work.)but still have them able to enter new trouble reports?

Probably a simple thing, but it's giving me a headache!!(-:

Thanks!
Barbara

On the form properties you need to set AllowEdits to false and AllowAdditions to true. This will prevent changes after the record is saved. If the uses makes a mistake after entering and saving the data, you'll still have to find a way for them to correct it, since this applies to the entire form.

Well - I tried that...it didn't let me edit the existing records, so that's a plus but it wouldn't let me enter anything for a new record either.

I inherited this db and a lot of it is coded in vba if that helps. I'm code-clueless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back