Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make a Linksys e2100l Router As a Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lharris1103

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2012
US
I have 2 linksys routers. The main wireless router is connected and working. I have purchased another linksys router that I want to use to allow my desktop computer to access the internet. I am having problems because the new router will not ping the gateway which is the main wireless router. Any ideas on getting the new router configured to act as an switch. Thanks in advance.

Then give it an IP address in the range of the other router’s IP subnet but outside it’s DHCP range.
Then connect the two routers using their LAN ports (sometime marked 1 to 4) and leave the WAN or Internet port of the e2100l router empty.
Once connected, the remaining 3 LAN ports on each are available for local devices.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Can it access the othe route wirelessy. I cannot physically connect it to the other router.

1) No switch could do that, was that just to throw me off?
2) Very few home routers can be wireless bridges stock, I doubt any Linksys can
3) Some routers can use third party firmware with more features, but a more complicated User Interface, one is DDWRT.
Your e2100l router seems to be supported by DDWRT.

Once you have that installed, you would need to configure it to be a wireless bridge.

It will not let me post a URL to configure client bridging, but on the DDWRT site in the Wiki in the tutorials, you want client bridged
http: index.php Client_Bridged
with slashes instead of spaces

Thank you. I will try configuring it to be a bridge. I will let you know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back