Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make a DataBase Buckup

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanferman

Programmer
Nov 14, 2001
US
Hi guys,

I'm using Oracle8i on a windows box, and I have to make a database buckup to install that database on a Unix box.

Anybody of you know how can I do that ?

Thanks in advance.

===================
::) Juan F. Sarria

Hi, since you cannot use the database itself, only the data
contained in it ( different OS means different binaries )
use the
EXP full='Y'
and, after creating the database on the Unix
box and pre-creating the users and tablespaces , use IMP to get your data into it..
It will be easier if you exactly duplicate the tablespace names and users, although not strictly necessary..

Read the EXP and IMP docs very carefuly and go slowly.
( Plan twice, execute once)

hth,
[profile]

Hi again,
I forgot to add that you will need to move the exported dump file to the Unix box or to a mounted file system that can be accessed from the Unix box
( I use FTP to move the *.dmp file, but a Samba mounted windows location probably works as well).

[profile]

Thanka a lot.

But I'm just starting with Oracle.

How can I create the dump file ? ===================
::) Juan F. Sarria

You need to use the Export utility to create the dump file from the DB on the Windows box, then use the Import utility to load the dump file into the database on the UNIX box.

Documentation on these utilities is available online at the Oracle TechNet site - in the Utilities Manual:

Or you should have the documentation on CD in your Oracle install CD set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back