Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make a Bootable XP CD 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

greneday556

Technical User
Oct 5, 2003
US
My old XP cd is at the bottom of the ocean right now...and I need to do a format on my computer. I have the entire CD contents on my hard drive, but when I burn it to an ISO cd, and try and boot the setup program from it(restarting with it in the cd drive) it just does not find it as a bootable CD. Can anyone help me?

I'd like to be sure you actually need to format first. Can you tell me why you need to format?

Mike Jones, A+ MCSE
Systems Engineer/Owner
CCNI

Thanks guys, I have yet to try them out to see if they work, its way late, but did want to say thanks for pointing me to useful info, ill get back to ya.

well they both were very useful, but I still do not have the original CD to make a copy or anything. they all require to original cd it seemed, any way thanks.

greneday556

you don't need original CD - you said it was all copied to hard drive - that's all you need (Greg's link gives instructions - I've done this numerous times now using similar instructions (eg,

Wolluf, it did boot up to the setup menu, I was like "finally" lol, but then it said, "The file dmload.sys is corruted."
and restarts the computer.

Have you checked the dmload.sy_ file you are putting on the CD is ok (you can use the expand command)? Can you copy all the files off the created disk back to hard drive?
Also, is CD/DVD ROM drive ok?

If that's all ok - errors like this - 'corrupted' file when booting from XP install CD is often caused by a hardware problem in the machine (eg RAM - but any bad/failing hardware component can cause this).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back