Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make a Background transparent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbrown

Technical User
May 17, 2001
US
When I place in a picture it will have a square white background. How do I make the background transparent so I will see is the picture?

As far as I know, only GIF and PNS images formats allow this so first check your file format. I don't know if you can modify your image in Illustrator but I erase the background using Adobe Photoshop (using the Extract function or just by selecting my image then erasing to transparency). Then if I save as a GIF or PNS file, the image doesn't have a background when I place it in Illustrator.

If you are using Photoshop to create your images just import them directly as PSD files- transparency is automatically preserved, to a MUCH better extent than using a transparent GIF, and works perfectly!

Nick Price
nick.price@misuk.net

I'm not sure what your purpose is, but when I wanted to put an Illustrator drawing on a PowerPoint slide without any background, what worked was to export it first from Illustrator as a Windows Metafile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back