Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major problems with Windows 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
I have a computer that is 3 years old running win2k, I started to have performance problems, and then I couldn't get past the service startup screen, the blue progress bar would just hang in the middle, I was able to get into windows 2 times. Everytime I clicked an application, it took forever to load or it was not responding, I couldn't run anything, thinking it was a virus issue, I placed it as a slave into my other computer and found 29 viruses, I decided to delete the partition and clean install the OS. After I reinstalled it from the original OEM cd, it did the same thing, hanging at the service starup, I don't know what to do, could it maybe be bad RAM(I have one 128MB stick), or maybe bad boot sector on the hard drive. No external components were plugged in, I am clueless at this point, any suggestions are greatly appreciated,
Thanks
-Ryan

I'd take a 98SE boot disk, you can get one at bootdisk.com, and fdisk the drive, then fdisk /mbr, then format, then proceed with Windows 2000 installation. From there you can remove the partition you made an fdisk and make an NTFS partition or FAT32. You probably got a virus hanging out in the master boot record. Just fdisk won't get rid of it, you'd need to use the fdisk /mbr command. Also, make sure the virus isn't coming from something your installing or files you have on backup media.

You may also try to low level format the drive. This puts the drive in the exact same state as it was the day it came. This will also get rid of the MBR as well.

Beware....fdisk/mbr has made more than one hard drive unusable for me. I was unable to re-format them afterwards. Some drives really dislike this command!!!

If you want to check the memory get your hands on Memtest86 It is freeware that is installed on a FDD. You then boot from the floppy and let it run the tests. You should be able to find this on the Internet by doing a search for Memtest86

- Zych

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back