Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major problem!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby316

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
Hi all

Can anyone save me from topping myself. My NT 4 server has just decided to stop allowing changes of passwords. When a user changes there password their accounts stops working. I can't even reset at the server.

Any ideas!!!!

What happens that stops you changing it at your server?

What OS are your clients using, and did anything get changed/added just before the problem started ?

I can create a new user but when i try and log on at a server with that user it gives access denied. It returns this very quickly giving the impression that the account doesn't exist. I can change a password on the server but when the user logs on their accounts seems to get messed up and can't find resourses located at the server. i.e the application drive and printer. They are asked for passwords. The admin password doesn't work on there accounts. Do you think its something to do with the replication side of things.

Server = NT4.0 with SP6a.
Clients = Windows 98SE.

I have installed a Brother 2460hl using a HP print server last week.

Make sure you assign the user the "Logon locally" right via UserManager, Policies, User Rights.

Let me recap. If you are creating a user and you want that user to be able to logon to a "SERVER" than you need to give them the "Logon Locally" right. If this is just to logon to a Windows98 workstation you would not assign that right. You don't want any ordinary users (only Administrators Group) to be able to logon to your servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back