Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAJOR problem preventing booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

intern2k6

Technical User
May 22, 2006
US
I am intern at a company with an HP visualize C160 running HP-UX B.10.20. It has stopped booting to the gui and, after some coaxing, will end up at a text-based menu screen but virtually nothing can be run from there.

At first the computer ran through it's boot process then stopped at this message:

Start NFS client subsystem………………………[ ]

It alternates between busy and wait then goes ot the following message

NFS server (pid1509@/net) not responding still trying systems

It never leaves this message until I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del which brings it to a text-based login and then to a text-based menu screen.

Once I login I receive the following message repeated at least 9 times:

Warning! One or more of your selected locales are not available. Plese invoke the commands "lovale" and "locale -a" to verify your selections and the available locales.
Continuing processing using the "C" locale.

I actually proceeded to run locale and this is the message it returned:
LANG=n-compuer
LC_CTYPE=”C”
LC_COLLATE=”C”
LC_MONETARY=”C”
LC_NUMERIC=”C”
LC_TIME=”C”
LC_MESSAGES=”C”
LC_ALL=

After going through all this, I went into SAM and disable the NFS client and rebooted. Upon reaching the checklist for booting, it passed the NFS client this time but failed on the following two:

Start NCS broker daemons.................[FAIL]
Starting HP Distributed Print Services...[FAIL]

It continues to boot and almost makes it to the GUI Desktop Login screen, but it never makes it the whole way and ends up returning me

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated since I and everyone at my company are completely clueless about how to proceed.

Thanks!

maybe you have a network problem? In this case: fix it, or disable everything that needs a network connection during startup (like nfsd, xntpd, swagentd etc.).

Yep, agree with swolf ...

If you skip this step, it just jumps up without starting the rest of the services, if you leave it long enough, it will probably time out and start up ok (without nfs prob.)

Sounds like network issue.

From command line, you could start the networking services and check things out.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back