Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Major alarm - Faulty disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCTek

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2008
US
I have a 3300 controller with major alarm details:

Category Name: Faulty Disk
Alarm Level: Major
Total: 2
Unavailable%: 50
Minor Threshold >0
Major Threshold >0
Critical Threshold >0

Does anyone have an idea? There was a big power disruption at our site, but the controller is plugged into UPS. Thanks.

Is it a MXE woth 2 drives ?
I think it is otherwise you will not have an alarm anyway :)
You need to call your business partner to replace the drive

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Find a plastic cover on the back of the controller, open it and check HDD fault indicator. It is hot swappable, so you can pull it out without turning the system off. Then you can buy the same type of the HDD from any source. It's a standard HDD, just match models. Install new drive and then follow instructions in the manual how to rebuild RAID.

Maintenance command: File Stat Red will tell you the status of the mirror(or main Drive)

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

I just had this happen to me last week and my support provider had me push and hold a button in on the secondary hard drive that reset the drive and rebuilt the mirror once it was done the error went away. I'm offsite or i would go look and tell you what the button was.

chadmiller, I would replace this drive and test it off-line. It may have performance issues or increasing number of bad sectors which may be hidden by HDD firmware.

Thanks all, I replaced the hard-drive, but now I can't access to my 3300 from remote web access. Also, my SMDR record is not sending to call accounting. It's hot swappable, do I need to reboot 3300?

You could try but i would make a backup first !!!
There should not be changing anything to be honest

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Be really careful with this. I have had loads of trouble with the RAID card. Make sure you have a backup, and the current load of software so you can chuck back on if needs be.

Are you sure you removed the faulty disk and not the live one?

Can you switch night service or activate call forwarding on sets? (if yes, you're ok)

Backup, backup, backup!

Yes, I replaced the faulty disk. All the IP devices reside on this controller are working. I don't see any major alarm but I can't remote into it. Also, my controller A has minor alarm SDS.??? I guess the sync is broken. Mitel installer set the backup daily. Should I backup it again even possible corrupted database?

WCTek,

All the IP devices working does not mean you removed the faulty disk. The 3300 does not run off of the hard drive. It uploads into RAM and everything runs from there. The hard drive is only used to store changes to the active environment like Night Service and Feature activation.

All of your problems STRONGLY indicate that the system is no longer able to read/write from the hard drive which leads me to believe you removed the wrong one.

I said File Stat Red earlier but I meant Show Stat Red(Show Status Redundant) to determine hard drive status. Do this ASAP.

If you reboot, I believe you will lose EVERYTHING.

I had faulty drive and replacement went without any complications. What you can do is to connect the drive you just pulled out to some dort USB-ATA adapter and just copy everything over to your computer. Make sure that it will read everything fast without any delays. Then do disk check. Your computer will check the file system. Then keep this drive handy and reboot the system. If it will not come up, shut it down, remove all drives and insert just this one. You may need to reset RAID controller, follow instructions in the tech handbook. If the drive is OK the system should come up with alarm. Then put new drive and sync RAID up.

kwbMitel, you are right. We lost everything when we removed both HDD to clear the sockets according to Mitel Support. We had to rebuild everything from scratch and restore the data. The 3300 was down for 7 hours. The local Mitel Tech had issue to re-install software, but I learned my lesson. I don't believe in these guys anymore. They are reckless and do not care about it. I have 4 different techs that told me to do different thing.

Anyhow, we finally got it up and mirror with 2nd HDD. It's running and no problem. Thanks God that I have a backup.

Here is the issue:
1. The 1st tech was on-site and possible mirror the wrong drive (like kwbMitel mentioned), or whatever he did. He did not check the SHOW STAT RED before or after he installed HDD 2.
2. The 2nd tech was on-site and did not know much about 3300. He had to read support document while installing. However, I learned with him and "certified tech" now.
3. They installed mismatch version of software from my controller A.

If you need helps in future, I can be assisted. Thanks all for your helpful tips! but it's too late. NEVER late to learn.....

In this case, I'm sorry I was right.

Glad you were able to work it out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back