Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintenance Plans SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcclSmokey

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
Hi There

I am new to SQL administration so please excuse me if I am not making sense. We currently have a maintenance plan which does a complete backup of all of our production databases. It is set to remove files older than a week and it appears to be working fine. I am not using the system directory to backup the databases but a directory I have created under which there is a folder created for each database. Transaction logs are also covered in the maintenance plan and again are set to be removed after one week. Again these are backed up to my custom directory and have a folder per database. My problem is that in the root of my custom directory there is a huge transaction log file which is eating all the disk space. I am not sure why this transaction log is being created as I cannot see the root of my custom directory mentioned anywhere in the transaction log tab of the maintenance plan. I have also checked the properties of each database in turn and there is no mention of this directory under the transaction log tab.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Does the name of the transaction log corrospond to a database that you have? If so ... check the properties of that DB under the Tlog tab.

Thanks

J. Kusch

It appears one of your databases has no folder of its own. Check that all databases has a seperate folder to keep thier tranasction logs.

Timi11

I beleive if the maintenance plan was set not to use a user-defined folder/share it would place it in the default SQL Server folder, \MSSQL\BACKUP, and not to the root of hcclSmokeys' "custom directory".

Thanks

J. Kusch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back