Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintenance network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 1, 2002
ID
Hi, I'm wondering how you maintenance your network, so when there's a patch, update for antivirus, etc, it can automatically install to client computer and you don't have to go there one by one.
I'm using Win2000 Advanced Server right now. I've been read the book, there is a topic, Software Installation and Maintenance Technology. It uses Group Policy Object and its Software Installer node to manage software.
The problem is, these deployment and management features are only available for Windows 2000 clients. My network, mostly still using Win95 and Win98. How to solve this problem ? Thanks.

If you want to deliver antivirus updates to you clients you have to get a program that supports it. For example Norton Antivirus Enterprise edition is a really great product. I think for Exchange 2000 virus scanning and Windows 2000 scanning it is about $25 to $30 per computer per year. You can have your clients updated daily behind the scenes and they dont even need to be restarted. My server has stopped approx 100 viruses from coming in through email so far and we have only had it 8 months.

well, i'm looking for more than just update antivirus. like update/patch for ie, windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back