Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintaining Original JPEG Size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooYaKaSha

Technical User
May 18, 2002
US
Seems like this question shoulda come up before, but I couldn't find it anywhere -- so sorry if this is a repeat...

I'm doing a slideshow-like thing in Premiere. I purposely made my images larger than the stage cause I want to scroll them up/down/right/left during the duration of the image. When I import them, Premiere automatically resizes them to the stage. I've checked "maintain aspect ratio" which keeps them from distorting, but still shrinks them down so they fit on the stage.

If I scale these images with video filters, its as if Premiere shrinks them down, then re-enlarges them so they look pixelated and crappy.

How can I maintain the original size of my JPEGS when I import them? Thanks.

The maintain aspect ratio is not used to make an image remain its original size; its used to maintain the "ratio" of the image to the size of video you are working with

Ex.
Your resolution for your video is 720x48
Your image is 1200x976 .
Maintain aspect ratio will shrink that down to fit in the 720x480 size that you are using in your project settings, but since 1200x976 is not a perfect size for 720x480, you will see some "black" borders around the image when it appears on your timeline.

If you want only a certain part of your image to show on the timeine, take your image into Photoshop or similar; make a shape on your image equivalent to the workspace you are using in Premiere and then "crop" your image to that size ( the area of the image you want shown )

BooYaKaSha, if I understand you correctly, you have a nice big image file. For example, 1600 x 1200 (you oughta' post these things so we don't have to pull numbers from our fannies). And, you have a 720 x 480 "window" of video. During your video, you want to pan around with your "window" and see pieces of the 1600 x 1200 piece.

If this is what you want to do, then uncheck the maintain aspect ratio checkbox and use a filter called Image Pan.

In Image Pan, set your viewing window to 720 x 480.

Image Pan allows you to set keyframes for your motion, so you could do something cool like follow a route on a map as the voiceover describes the perils of the journey.

Very cool stuff!

Did I guess right?

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Thanks for the tip. I didn't think it mattered exactly what size my image was. I had more than one and they are all different.

Image pan is the stuff though.

Glad to help!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back