Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintaining Font Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

carwee

Vendor
Jul 11, 2003
US
I am using css to set my font sizes on a web page, because if the user changes the text size in thier browser it knocks the layout of the page out of wack.
I am using "pt" as a increment size.
The problem is... This works fine in Internet Explorer, but I can't get Netscape to keep my font size.
Anything I can do about this?

what is the pt size? try using px.

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Which version of Netscape? If it's 4.7 you'll have all kinds of problems with CSS.

-- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

The real world's OK for a visit, but you wouldn't want to LIVE there!

carwee: I am using css to set my font sizes on a web page, because if the user changes the text size in thier browser it knocks the layout of the page out of wack.

Damn users. Damn their "wishes" and their "preferences" and their "desires" and their "settings". [lol]

Anything I can do about this?

Well, there are two basic paths you can take -- try to change the millions of browsers out there or change your layout such that the flap of a butterfly wing in Japan doesn't break it.

I think you'll be a lot happier pursuing a layout that doesn't "break". Really. Think of it as a point of pride. Think of being able to put that little GIF at the bottom of the page: "This website best viewed by... any damn browser you want!" [smile]

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Well put, EdwardMartinIII!!!! I concur whole-heartedly.

I'm no spring chicken and my eyesite isn't what it was so I get really put-off by web sites that consistantly use text sizes less than 8 pt. Take a look at Microsoft's site. It's so darned hard to read because of the small font size. When will some of these web designers learn?

The other thing I get a kick out of is web designers who want to change the way user's expect to navigate through their pages. It's safe to say that the majority of users have a PC sysmte running some version of Windows. And it's safe to say that a huge majority are using software like Word and Excel. This being the case, why, why, why would anybody want to change the scrollbars to something that the users have never seen before?

Give the user a method of page navigation that they're used to seeing in 99% of all other Windows-based programs!

There's always a better way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back