Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintain Q&E MDX with VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindPete

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
US
Hello All,

Q&E is an older query system from the early 90's and 80's. It can create DBF and compound index files MDX.

VFP correctly understands the DBF and even converts the MDX to a CDX. Which is great except that we need to maintain the MDX too.

Doe anyone know if we can maintain the MDX index file with VFP? -Pete[noevil]

Pete,
No, there is no way to maintain the MDX files from native VFP. It might work if you use the dBase ODBC driver to access these tables (through Remote Views), but I haven't really tried this.

Rick

So be it. I have been looking for an answer all morning w/o success. Thanks for the info. I already tried the ODBC route, it is problematic at best.

Thanks -Pete[noevil]

Of course, you could make a copy of your MDX index and rename it, but since it wouldn't be maintained as you made changes to your table, I don't expect that would help you. Dave Dardinger

Yeah thats the basic problem. The rename is not needed. VFP preserves the MDX and creates a CDX automatically.

Clearly VFP understands the MDX, it just does not use it. hmmm... -Pete[noevil]

why not use the old program to rebuild the MDX indexes as needed? e.g. before you do a seek ?

That would be fine for our in-house purposes, but I can not just give clunky old QE to customer. It no longer exists as a company. I have no idea what or whom own the rights, plus its a pain in the neck to use.

Customer's legacy application reads and generates dbaseIV and mdx files. Certain files are used by system but not maintained by system and so require occassional maintenace. They do not want to come to us everytime they want to add or modify a record.

I would really like to find (BUY$$$) a tool that works like this CDX2MDX(). Actually I found one, but it OS/2 Warp not MS. Errrrrg! -Pete[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back