Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintain 1 session/connection with ADO

Status
Not open for further replies.

WILLIEWANKA

Technical User
May 22, 2003
US
Hey everyone, i'm currently working on an application that will enable business users to reduce the size of their tables. It a two step process, the 1st step evaluates the data types, and the ranges within each data type and reccomends a new datatype (which the user can change if they don't want the reccomended datatype). The second step takes the finalized datatype and goes through a compression routine to pick the values that would realize the most savings.

The problem is i'm using volatile tables, and ADO.net does not use the same connection for each statement I execute. Even though I only open the connection once, after a few statements it will say the volatile table doesn't exist, meaning it has changed the session and the table has been dropped.

I don't want to use a normal user table because I don't want to accidentally drop a table with the same name (it's a very unique name, but hey....you never know)

Is there any way to acheive any of the following:

a. Find a tool that already does what I want it to do (very doubtful)

b. Create tables that exist as long as a user has at least 1 session open (doubtful)

c. Use the same connection/session for every statement executed in ADO.net (less doubtful)

Here is a example of the code i'm running

Dim conn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim strConn as String
Dim strSQL as String

strConn = "my connection string"

conn.open(strConn)

strSQL = "create set volatile table mytable (" & vbCrLf & _
"nbr_values decimal(10)," & vbCrLf & _
"column_value varchar(300))" & vbCrLf & _
"primary index (column_value)" & vbCrLf & _
"on commit preserve rows;"

for I = 0 to mydatatable.Rows.Count - 1

strSQL = "insert into mytable select count(*) ," & _
mydatatable.Rows(I).Item("Columnname") & "' from oldtable group by 2;"

conn.Execute (strSQL)

'This is where it fails, saying table mytable cannot be found

Next

Hi,
It sounds like your connection is going through a CONNECTION POOL. is there anyway to access the Teradata Box directly?

I doubt it, the only way I can do it is through ODBC. I checked and there seems to be a way to set pooling to false.

When making the connection string, just add "Pooling=False;

Okay, I lied...that doesn't work. Still getting the same error.

Hi,
How Stable is your Teradata System? Volatile tables are deleted during System restarts? Global Temp Tables will live over system restarts.

The system is very stable.

It was my understanding that Global Temp Tables will still exist after a session has closed. Is that not correct? Are they similar to volatile tables, except other users can see and use them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back