Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Main Form Behavior not as expected 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Andres

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
US
I am new to C# but have programed in VB6 and VFP and have started the process of learning a new language. In going through some tutorials on forms I have noticed something that I am not used to. It seems that when you create two forms and call one from the main program and then call the other form from the main form (command button or menu click), they act independantly of each other. There does not seem to be a top form that all the others run inside. Am I missing something? The application I plan on developing will have many forms and several can be open at the same time. I was hoping that minimizing the main form would minimize all the application forms.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Ed

there are ways you could design you system to minimize all windows if 1 was minimized. however I could see the UX becoming very tedious with so many forms open.

rather than create a new form for each "widget", create a separate user control and add the user controls to the form.
you can have the form(s) and controls interact with on another using the concept of an event aggregator. this is a set of objects you design to manage the interaction of the various UI controls.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Thanks for the reply, just seems odd to not be able to have a top level form or screen that the rest of the forms would run inside.

Ed

I think you mean the good old MDI style?

Just set the IsMdiContainer property to true on your main form.

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Yes - that is what I mean. Thanks for the tip to set me on the right path.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back