Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailto???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheech

Technical User
Nov 6, 2000
EU
I have a page that sends an email built up from a database. The email address's and subject lines are not a problem. In fact adding the body is not the main problem either.

My problem is the body of the email is taken from one long string held in an Access database and I want to format it for readability. I have tried including "&crlf;" in the string to see if this works but everything after the notation is just ignored.

This is all for an Intranet and all clients use IE 5+ and have Outlook as their email client.

Any one got any ideas......pleeeeeeeeze.. I dont want to go to Chelsea!!!

hey there,

we build emails using java and use "\n" [without the quotes :)] to get a new line. any help?

If you are creating the body programmatically you'll have to insert the Carriage Return (0x0d) and Line Feed (0x0a) characters. If you are merely inserting CRLFs to fix a line width, don't bother; most e-mail clients will wrap incoming text to fit the message window and the inserted CRLF's will just
make the
text disjointed.

Addendum:
Hmmm. I reread your post and infer that you are generating HTML so...
Code:
href="mailto:bozo@thecircus.org?subject=stuff&body=big%20shoes%13%10red%20noses"

Cheers for the tips..buttt

the Java from anorakgirl just put the "\n" into the body of the text, & bottiverde's href idea produced -

big shoesred noses

actualy in the email..
and yes it is all done with html

never mind I will not give up.... I dont want to go to Chelsea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back