Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailto with subject and body text not working in ASP document

Status
Not open for further replies.

clmp

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
US
The following Javascript code in an Classic ASP page works fine for everyone except a user with a new computer(IE11 and Outlook 2013).

window.location.href="mailto:weshipping;job?subject=" + etext + "&Body=" + bodytext;

It works(opens up new email page) for all computers(one year old) with Outlook 2013 and IE11(same version).
It will work on the new computer if I take out the subject and body text.
I am not sure if it is IE, Outlook, Exchange or what at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Outlook uses IE to 'open windows' and browsers will block javascript events and 'pop up' windows instantiated by javascript so maybe that particular machine still has javascript disabled in Outlook.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Java scripting is enabled in IE. As I mentioned in the original post, the mailto command will work/open a window, if there is nothing in the subject line or body text. As soon as I send a subject line with the command it just sits there and spins. Very frustrating

By the way; This is nothing to do with ASP at all because ASP is a server side operation and what you are trying to do is ALL client-side.

secondly:
Passing subject and body as parameters in mailto: links does not work reliably with every mail client, never has, ... probably never will. And even less reliably when trying to do it with javascript into a HTML window that has nothing at all to do the mail client.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back