Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailmerge (excel-word)- cutting off after 256 chars

Status
Not open for further replies.

train2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
GB
A silly problem, but a very annoying one.

It's working in some sheets/docs but not in others.

I'm mailmerging school reports, and have a spreadsheet with long desciptions. (upto about 500 characters) They look fine in the spreadsheet.

When I merge to Word, I see only the first approx: 256 characters. Is there a limitation I don't know about? I can't find the answer to this one.

Incidentally, it's working fine in some subjects, regardless of how long the fields are, it's just in one sheet/doc. Also all sheets/docs were created from the same master files, so i just don't get it.

Anyone come across this problem? I've looked at cell formating etc. but drawn a blank.

JR

I thought cell size in Excel was restricted to 255 chars.

If you can get 500 let me know which version you are on!

T

Thanks for prompt reply.
I'm using Word 2002 and Excel 2002.

I'm just testing and I think it's more to do with Excel than word. With same word document, I've copied and pasted the cell values from spreadsheet to a blank one and relinked that spreadsheet. (just column headings and first record). And it worked fine. I'm going to carry on trying.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back