Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mailing my form reslults

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwebbo1

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
US
I am very new to cgi scripting, actually, this is the first time that I have had to deal with it. I have a form, asking several questions, all basic, but I need the form to send to an email address. Does someone have a script that you could explain to me how I could change it to emaik to me, also, where do I place the script, how do I refer to it, as well as use it and change it as I see fit. All your help is much appreciated. (I can also provide the form if anyone needs to see it)THANKS!!!

There are a couple of faqs on this in the Perl forum and a faq in this forum (faq452-653) on the basics of doing CGI. You might start with those and come back with more specific questions. 'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Here's a perl script to check forms, and send an email in whatever format makes sense. Nice, simple PERL program for processing forms however you want to process them, easy to install.

Download from ftp://ftp.sudval.org/users/sgray/cgi/mailing-cgi-v1.0.tgz -- info from the Linux Software Map at ftp://ftp.sudval.org/users/sgray/cgi/mailing-cgi.lsm

The source is viewable on the web at
Please write back if this helps!

diodotus,

Would those scripts need to use SendMail on the server? Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Oopps I think I meant Does it use FormMail? Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

The program Uses the CGI library. And it requires that the server have some sort of program (like sendmail or qmail) on the server, which the CGI script will have the permissions to access.

Cool,

Thanks. One of my boss's sites is hosted by a 3rd party, who got the pinch for spammail being sent out from thier IP. It wasn't us because the reason why I asked about the mail progs is because there is a form to subscribe or unsubscribe to a monthly newletter (in other words, no one was getting mail from us unless they requested it).
Anyway, it's 5300 lines of script that makes that form tick because it maintains the mailing list all by itself (I think that is how it is, I don't know a whole lot about cgi's if you couldn't already tell).

Looks like we are going to have to find another host who can accomodate. That's ok...one thing I do know is that mail can be limited on *nix servers, and if the admin can't control mail/stop the hacking or spoofing/limit mail/find out who is doing it and discontinue service, I don't think the boss needs that kind of host.

Ok I am done babbling...thanks :) Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back