Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailing Labels from MYSQL data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyJoe

Programmer
Nov 13, 2000
US
I am developing a Web Site where one of the outputs is mailing labels for newsletters, etc.. I can extract the data and display it in a table which is OK to view. I have taken the data from the table, copied and pasted it to an Excel file (also saved it as an CSV file) then used the data from the Excel or the CSV file to create labels using the mail merge feature in Word. I believe this manual process will be beyond the level of some of the projected users.

Thanks for any help in automating the process.

Are you sure all your users will have Word installed? If so then record a macro to do what you need and let them download the Word file complete with macro.

Can you not create the lables on the same website?

I mean using HTML and CSS you can probably mock up a label sheet that will include the information from the DB, and then just print it from within the browser.

All you really need is to take into acount the actuall label dimensions in the sheet. It might take a bit fo trial and error, but in the end I think it might prove to be the friendliest solution for your users.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Support for printing from websites is limited at best - they never come out as you would like. Using word is possibly not the best plan either - wouldn't it be better to get hold of a PDF library and use that?

It's open source, will print as it looks on the page and can be viewed from any computer. It doesn't involve any system interop or unmanaged code as it's all text and it looks professional.

Now you're going to ask me where you get a PDF library from. I don't know - I've been looking for ages and now I'm seriously thinking of making my own. If anyone has any ponters on where to get a (free) PDF library from, nows your chance to earn a star!

Yet another unchecked rambling brought to you by:
Oddball

The CPAN Perl repository has several PDF-creation modules. Also, there are many PDF virtual printers out there. For example, on a Unix-type system you can use cups-pdf (part of the CUPS printing system) which will produce a PDF file in the nominated directory. There are also several available for Windows.

Excelent links folks but no star :D

I use C# and ASP.net so I'd be looking for a .net lib.

Oh, go on then.

Yet another unchecked rambling brought to you by:
Oddball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back