Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailer V1.0 domain name problem for internet mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleo

Programmer
Mar 2, 2002
US
hi there
i am using HPUX 11.0 and trying to set up the mailer utility to send mail over the internet.
i loaded mozilla and have that set up for email and it works fine, but i dont like it and prefer mailer.

i go through a router to the internet....i can ping internet websites and of course view them (as i am now).

but when i send mail via mailer, i get the error message
" the domain for dleo@unixtwo" does not exist"....and apparently this message comes back from the server i sent the e-mail to.
that message is correct....unixtwo is the computer nickname, my true email address is dleo@net1plus.com.

i have been around the loop in SAM (in the networking and communications folder) and tried various things to change domain name and anything that said "unixtwo" ....but nothing works.

i have 2 sys admin books, the unix reference text, "practical" unix, unix quicstart guide and unix for dummies.....i cannot find explicit enough details in any of those to fix this.

if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

as always, thanks in advance.

daveleo

as gilda radner used to say on SNL .... "nevermind"

i correctly edited the /etc/hosts file for additional aliases for this computer, and email now works..... every step is a challenge.....

daveleo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back