Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailbox Size Limits 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Just curious what other admins set their users mailbox size limit at? I know it changes from shop to shop and depends on available disk space/backup tape/disk space, among other things. Just wondering where others keep their limits.

We currently have a 175MB limit per mailbox.

250Mb limit per mailbox

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I read somewhere that the national average is 100MB. Some of the big 4 auto manufacturers use 35MB, as does the law firm my wife works for.

I generally recommend 100MB and go from there. My church has 300 employees at 400MB each.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

we start at 200MB, and go up to 500MB. Some are even bigger than this, but you have to know the IT manager personally to get those :)

Thanks for sharing guys! I was thinking I was gonna be called a mean admin for restricting our users to such small mailboxes, but now I don't feel so bad.. Seriously, how many time do you have to send instructions for Personal Folders in Outlook before they start to use them?!?

er, you dont, you get a proper archiving solution. Have a look at GFi.com

You can say that we are an exception. However:

24 professors with 2GB mailbox limit
180 non-professors with 1 GB mailbox limit.

We are a university department.

0 professors with a 2GB mailbox limit
Everyone else with a 50MB limit

We aren't a university department but will be moving to an enormous SAN shortly at which point that limit will change :)

Why are .PST files evil? I recently implemented size limits at 300mb, and forced everybody to archive to .PST files or delete stuff in their box to get down to that size.

My company does not have the money to put into ANY kind of archving solution (ie: GFI), so in order to get email off the Exchange server and conserve the Exchange DB size, I really have no choice but .PST files.

PST files on a local drive with the knowledge that they aren't backed up and may be lost is fine.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

As long as you realize you can't virus scan them. You can't automate the compression of them. There are known size limits to them. You can't easily do legal discovery on them. You lose single instance store. Messages take more room in a .pst file than in a mailbox store. They corrupt too easily.....

I could go on and on.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

On a local machine they are not backed up. On a network share they take up far more room and slow the server and client down significantly.

PST files are a problem waiting to burn you.

notifications at 90MB
prohibit send at 180MB
prohibit send and receive at 200MB

carol
believe in all possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back