Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mailbox Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingSailor

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2001
US
I have some suspicion that someone is reading my mail and would like to know if there is a way to secure a mailbox, even from those with specific priveleges. If not, is there a way to audit whether someone is attaching my mailbox to theirs? I am currently using Exchange 5.5.

Thanks!

If you look through the security logs, you should see messages like "User DOMAIN\Username logged on to mailbox Username and is not the primary user of that mailbox" or something along those lines.

Sorry, it's a while since I used 5.5

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

But those messages are unreliable - just accessing someone's calendar generates that message.

There's no easy way to hide your mailbox from the administrators. The best way of ensuing your privacy is to not store things in it that you don't want them to read.

Yes, of course. It was meant as a general indicator of if your suspiciions were right or not.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

what I find useful is to have your mail migrated to a PST file, then putting a password on that PST file.

Give me 30 seconds with your (password protected) PST file, and I'll be reading your mail :)

okay. yes, you & any other network admin worth his weight. But a normal network user? not!

But a normal network user? not!"

You're right but admins can do anything they like. Just have all mail sent to both them and a second mail box for example negating the need to access anothers mailbox.

Change the primary account from "WanderingSailor" to AdminGuy/AdminGal. (I know this will create a 1175 event but normal users don't have access to it.)

Bottom line is Email is like a post card, someone can look over your shoulder while you right it, any post man in the delivery chain can read it and the recipient can give it to all their mates.

Dammed if you do........

Iain

My point about the PST file wasn't that your network admins can access it, rather that the PST format isn't particularly secure, and that ANYONE with access to the PST who knows the very simple way of stripping off the password can read all your email in it, not just your network adminms. In fact Googling the remarkably obvious phrase "remove pst password" will let anyone who can read into the secret of how to plunder a PST file...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back