Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mailbox move - painfully slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
Painfully. I've completed the coexistence install of 2013 into 2010 until mailboxes are moved. I did a few and while they are relatively small (~2G) for 4 mailboxes it took 12H. Is this normal? I'd prefer not to export mailboxes and import them if I am missing something in my configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's not normal at all. I would expect those to take under an hour.

When you are doing the move, are you looking at performance counters on the new server, specifically disk counters? Also, is there a DAG involved? If so, it may be best to remove copies of the database so that there is only one copy of the destination database, restart the info store on the destination server, cancel the pending move requests and delete them, and then create the move requests again. Moving mailboxes onto a target database that is part of a DAG has been known to create extremely slow moves.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Alternately, if you ARE in a DAG situation, you can set this property on the target database so that it doesn't slow things down during mailbox moves: DataMoveReplicationConstraint should be set to None. The restart the info store on the server with the active copy.

That would be better that removing copies and having to reseed later.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Hi Shack,
I am not in DAG yet. Just installed exchange over the weekend. I ended up reaching out to support and it turns out if exchange is installed on top of DC, you are pretty much destined to suffer, especially if in coexistence with 2010. I've removed multiple unnecessary connections which improved the migration somewhat. Long week for me.

One question that i just stumbled upon, obviously there are a few exchange 2010 services accounts/mailboxes. Do they need to be transferred?

If they won't move, they don't need to be moved.

Every SBS 2011 box is an Exchange 2010 server running on a DC and I haven't experienced what you're describing on any of those migrations to 2013. I wonder what the difference is. Maybe you installed Exchange 2013 on a DC? Did they say why it's slow exactly?

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back