Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail to Internal Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenica

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2002
US
Hi,
I have seen quite a few postings similar to what I need, but not exactly the same. I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a unixbox (SCO Unixware 7.1.1) with an internal IP address of 192.168.1.3. I can send mail from the command line to an external email address and it works fine. But if I send it to an internal address (on our Exchange server) it won't go. Our Exchange server internal IP is 192.168.1.4. It's almost like it goes out and tries to come back in and Exchange is blocking it. So I'm wondering if there is a way to prevent it from going outside the network to send the email.

The hostname/domain of the unixbox is unix.abc.local. The hostname of the Exchange server is abcdc.abc-123.com.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!
Jenica

If the exchange server will forward email to outside your network if needed, Make the Exchange server the 'smart-host' in you UW sendmail configuration.

I've done this on OpenServer, so can't point you to where to do this on UnixWare, but can say it should.

Thanks Hemo.

I did see some other postings on making my Exchange server a "Smart Host", but I don't see anything in the sendmail.cf file about where to assign that. It must be Unixware calls it something else.

Sometimes it is sufficient to have a mailhost entry in /etc/hosts (I know this works on Solaris anyway), for example:

[tt]1.2.3.4 exchnangesvr mailhost[/tt]

Annihilannic.

I'm not entirely sure of unixware, but on openserver the smart host is a "DS" entry in the sendmail.cf file.
do you not have a "mkdev cf" script in unixware?

All I have is /usr/X/lib/mkdev. And when I try to run mkdev cf it says:
UX:sh: ERROR: /usr/X/lib/mkdev: Cannot execute.

I don't have a DS entry. But I do have the following:

##################
# local info #
##################
# who I masquerade as -- domain hiding
# (null for no masquerading)
DMunix

ok then add in the line

DSabcdc.abc-123.com

in your sendmail.cf file.

I put that in the sendmail file and restarted the sendmail service. No such luck. I also added this to my hosts file:

192.168.1.2 abcdc.abc-123.com

Now I get a timeout error in the log:

Jun 11 13:21:03 scopai sendmail[26273]: h5AJEIF18692: to=dgibbons@abc-123.com,
ctladdr=root (0/3), delay=23:06:45, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=SMTP, pri=58530321,
relay=mail.abc-123.com., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection timed out with
mail.abc-123.com

Hi,
Can you tell me how do you setup your sendmail so that you can send mail to an external email address ?

Thanks in advance.
regards,
SP Neo

jenica does "mail.abc-123.com" exist?
does it resolve to an ip address?

spneo,
either your system can resolve and connect directly to the external target systems or you define a smarthost that can and accepts relaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back