Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mail to group

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixindicator

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2007
BE
I know you can compose a mail(group) with php and address this to the people in the mail list.
In gmail you have something that you sent to yourself a mail with a certain certification, like a fixed description in your subject and that this mail is send from your account to a destiny. But this is method is only possible to one person.

So I wonder, should there be a way to send an email to your own website like groups@mywebsite.com and that your message is forwarded to a group of users email addresses.
The big advantage is that members don't have to know or refresh the actual (changing) state of members in the group. They only send an email to your website and don't have to worry about the actual members of the email group.

Yes, should be. Most email providers will let you have auto responders to do what you are trying to do.
PHP won't offer much as the email doesn't go to the script (althogh some provders let you run scripts as a result of a mail being recieved and pass you info like the subject etc. I'm not an email expert so I would ask your email provider what they offer and perhaps we can work from there ?

if you know how to code php it's very easy to do this in php too (provided that you have the ability to run cron jobs).

just write or download an imap mail fetcher and for every mail received use phpmailer to send it onwards.

jpadie, yes I know php but of course there are some levels in it, I will do some research but up to now a part of your mail is chinese to me (cron jobs, imap mail fetcher).
But already happy to have some indication.

Presume as you would need to run a cron, it's not real time so response would be the cron gap e.g. every 30 mins.
Matrixindicator:
cron job is a job (script) that Unix/Linux will kick off when it's told e.g. every 10 mins, once on the 23 of the month etc.
imap is an email protocol that some systems support, there is an older , more basic protocol called POP or POP3 which is often used. A quick google should sort you out.

ok, thanks to specify !

I have a dummy question. When posting something to your website, like this mail, can this not be considered as an event that generate other code, like in this case generate the mail to send to the other people

can this not be considered as an event that generate other code, like in this case generate the mail to send to the other people

absolutely. and if you wanted to make your punters use a webform to send group notices then that would be very easy to do.

Hi

matrixindicator said:
When posting
If that means "sending a POST request" then yes, that be considered an event and the requested PHP script the event handler.

The same will work on Unix/Unix-like systems for mails : in ~/.procmailrc you can specify which application/script to be run to handle the incoming mail. In this case no [tt]cron[/tt] and IMAP has to be involved. But I am afraid you can enumerate on one hand's fingers the providers which will allow this for their users.

Feherke.

Not too sure what you are sayinh here.
You don't post email's to web sites. Id that what you want to do, enter information into a web page ?
As I said in my first reply, you can have an auto responder which the email server will execute on reciept of an email. Eg. you might send an email to a sales team who will responsed back to you with an email saying we will get in touch with you. Some auto responders allow the execution of a script.

Ok, its not for tomorrow, within a few days I will try to do some development on it, its not a priority, but I like to use it within a period. I do not enter information into a web page, form.

My hosting has the possibility to define email addresses (have to work on it still) like myname@mywebsite.com

that is not the same (at all) as directing an email to a script via procmail or similar.

you will need to use cron jobs or fake it by setting up a remote old windows box or similar to ping a web address at regular intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back