Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail stuck in SMTP in queue-Emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2005
US
I have an Exchange server running server 2003 with Exchange 2003. We host email for multiple domains. I have been moving domains over to this new server from an old server a little at a time. The old server finally took its last breath and died so I have been moving domains over as fast as I can. It seems that the domains that I had moved earlier are doing fine but the domains that I have moved in the last 2 days have all their email stuck in the queue.
I have a recipient policy for each and a connector called clients. In the queue, they are labeled with Clients – the domain name (SMTP connector). I can’t figure out what I have or haven’t done to allow those emails to be forwarded or go to their mailboxes. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for ANY suggestions!

Should the connector address space contain a "*" entry or each domain we host mail for? If I have a "*" entry, wouldn't that leave me as an open relay?

if you look at your access tab of your smtp virt server properties, that is were relay restritions are made(by default on computers who can succesfully authenticate can use you as a relay), not by virtue of the * on the connector saying you can send or receive from any domain.

Thank you for replying.... I thought I was on some black list that nobody ever replied to ANY of my posts (well... except one).

Anyway, I found that the MX record on the internal DNS hadn't been updated to reflect the new ail server and when that was done, mail flowed again.

There is still one glitch I am having, when I add a new domain, I constantly get "while talking to XXX.xxxx.org.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for 1111@1234.com 550 5.1.1 <1111@1234.com >... User unknown <<< 554 5.5.2 No valid recipients.

I've checked the Recipient Policy for this domain and it is present and correct.
This domain is added under the Default SMTP Virtual Server Access / Relay and it is in the Address Space in the single Connector I have.
Since this is happening with each new domain I am setting up, it seems like it is something with the entire server setting and not each new domain.
Where would I look for a setting of this nature?

Thank you very much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back