Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail slow to leave smtp queue (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empmark

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
US
I have Exchange 2003(SP1) running on Windows Server 2003(SP1). I use an SMTP connector forwarding the mail to a Smart Host which is our smtp gateway sitting in our DMZ. The server is a Dual Xeon 3.0 with 4 GB Ram and only runs Exchange. We are not a large company with about 140 mail users.

I have noticed some email takes up to an hour to move out of the SMTP connector. The status is always queued and mail moves ok (no ndrs or any other issues). The number of mail in the connector stays between 30 and 50 or so and always moves out but it can take an hour for some of them.

I have run the Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer and compared it to the baselines I had run in the past and everything looks good and no alerts show up. Is it normal for some mail to take an hour to proceess and move through to the smarthost? My goal of course is to see the mail move immediatly out to the smtp gateway. Any suggestions on where to look are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back