Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Server Problem with ISA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2003
GB
Hello,

I have a dedicated ISA server to serve web requestes and I also have a dedicated SMTP mail server. Both machines are w2k domain controllers. The mail server works fine if the isa server is not patched into the network.It has two net cards with an internal and external IP address.I can send and recieve email and also surf the net due to a fixed external IP address.

Once I plug the ISA server into the network the mail server looses the ability to access the internet and also refuses to send mail although I seem to be able to receive ok. All machines in the domain can now access the internet via the ISA server but the mail server can't. If i disconnect the ISA server the the mail server resumes normal operations.

Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance
BigDirk.

I would check the default gateway setting.
Your ISA should be default gateway for the mail server, or your default gateway should route non local traffic to the ISA.
Also make sure that you have opened for SMTP traffic through the ISA server.
There is a wizard to enable mail servers, but can't remember where to find it.

Check the Following :

1) Back to back connct the ISA and your Internet router

2) Disable the Mail server Public IP and assign Private IP
3)Set the deafult gateway of Mail server as Private ip of ISA server

4)Publish the SMTP server using Publishing wizard(it is required if and only if your SMTP is Public one)

5)Configure to Outgoing SMTP and pop3 (if u need)

6)Configure outgoping DNS (udp 53) requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back