Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmy26

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
AU
I have setup a test lab and am pretty new to exchange so please forgive me.
I have two exchange servers V2003 SP1.
My problem is when I send a mail from a user on server1 to a user on server 2 it never gets there.
When I send from a user on server 2 to a user on server 1 it is OK.

When I send locally it is fine.

Looking at the queues on Server1 then the server2.network.local queue has the mails and it is in a status of semaphore timeout period has expired.

I can telnet OK on port 25 and I have checked DNS and it all looks OK to me. Have rebooted as well.

Sent an emial using SMTP commands from server1 and it arrived in users mailbox on server2!!!!!!

Any ideas where I should be looking

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

do you have a firewall between the two exchange servers? you might need to turn off statefull smtp inspection...try "telnet [servername] 25" from both directions, do you get a clean esmtp response?

good luck,
rich

Thankyou for your reply.
There is no firewall at all as this is a test lab and yes telnetting on 25 in both directions gives me the banner.
Also when I send a mail fromm the server via SMTP commands it arrives at the other server but if I use an outlook client then the mail does not get transferred over.
Weird!!!!!!!

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

I am experiencing a problem with Outlook 2003 when sending emails with attachments. My .PST file is only 39MB. The outgoing email w/ attachment sits in the outbox and eventually generates a message saying a there is a timeout error waiting for a response from my SMTP server. In the meantime, the intended recipient is receiving the file repeatedly. The only way to stop it is to stop the send/receive and drag the message out of the outbox to the drafts folder or delete it. Normal e-mail message without attachments send normally 1 time without any problems. My virus Trend Micro PC Ciliin software is up to date and doesn't detect any viruses.Anyone out there ever heard of this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back