Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail not coming in to my server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommishuck

Technical User
Feb 7, 2005
US
I have the following message and need some help with it.
I'm very new to exchange and can use all the help you great people can provide!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of people, the President and CFO, that are both trying to have e-mail sent to them, but it is not coming through. I have no restrictions on the server,either incoming or outgoing. I tried to send something to myself to test this and rule out that it was the operator. Below is the message that I got when I tried to send a 8MB file to myself.

<chuck@test.com>:
64.19.xxx.xxx failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 552 4.3.1 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size

Now I can not for the life of me see why this is first pointing to a different server. The 64.19.xxx.xxx is our IP, but it is on differnt server. We do have a firewall in place, and it was configured by a 3rd party. Any help with this would be great!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Does your ISP impose limits on mail sizes ?

It might be worth checking with them before fiddling with your Exchange settings.

If there is not limit imposed, can you send similar size attachments to other users?

MD

I have checked and they stated that it is not an issue on there side and that it is on my side. and no I can not send similar size attachements to other users (i have tried)

thanks!

Two places to quickly check...

In system Manager under Global Settings\Message Delivery\Defaults, see if there is a limit there.

Also under your server first storage group, mailbox store properties under limits - although this is unlikey.

Thirdly (?) under Protocols\SMTP\Default SMTP Vitual Server properties, check the Messages tab to see if anything is set up.

MD

1) in global settings\...\defaults I have the following.
sending- no limits
recieving- no limits
receipients- limited to 5000 * what is this?

2)first storage group
there is a check mark on Prohibit send and receive at(kb), but there is no value. this location is blank.
for both issue warning and prohibit send, there is NO check mark.
Deletion settings, keep deleted items for 0 days, keep deleted mailboxes for 30 days, and no check on do not bermanently delete mailboxes and items until the store has be backed up.

3) SMTP settings
Limit message size to 2000KB
limit session size to 10,000 KB
limit # of messages per connection to 20
limit # of receipients per message to 4000

Looks like I need to remove the limit under the SMTP and remove the check on the first storage group-mailbox tab. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back