Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarhawkGamer

Programmer
Jul 7, 2008
US
I'm attempting to do a mail merge with a Word 2007 document and an Excel 2007 Macro-Enabled Worksheet (*.xlsm) (using VBA to create statements based on information being reported). A couple of fields can either be a null/blank value or a numeric value. The problem I'm having is that the null values are coming up as zeroes. In excel, I'm pulling data from 5 different spreadsheets into a single, output worksheet, using the following equation:

Code:
=IF(VLOOKUP(C166,Scorecard!B:H,7,FALSE)="","",VLOOKUP(C166,Scorecard!B:H,7,FALSE))

This same equation on some fields works, but on others doesn't.

"In excel, I'm pulling data from 5 different spreadsheets into a single, output worksheet"

I would NOT recommend using a lookup formula to gather data like this. MS Query would be MUCH easier and cleaner. I believe in Excel 2007, it is Other Data Sources in the External Data menu, (going from memory, like the 3rd icon in)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi StarhawkGamer,
The problem I'm having is that the null values are coming up as zeroes.
If the problem is with the merged output, then a simple formatting switch on the mergefield should fix it.

For example,if select the problem mergefield and press Shift-F9, you should see something like:
Code:
{MERGEFIELD Data} or {MERGEFIELD Data \* MERGEFORMAT}
To generate only non-zero outputs, change this to:
Code:
{MERGEFIELD Data \# ",0;-,0;"} or {MERGEFIELD Data \# ",0.00;-,0.00;"}
where the number of 0s after the decimal point determines the precision and the comma is the thousands separator. You can also add a '$', '£', '¥' or '€' symbol if you want the result displayed as currency - eg:
Code:
{MERGEFIELD Data \# "$,0.00;-$,0.00;"}
Press F9 when you're done to update the field. Your mailmerge is now ready to run.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Both of these suggestions have been useful. In the end, the problem was easily cured just by copying the worksheet off of the macro-version (doing a paste value), sorting the affected columns, and deleting the contents of the blank cells, and then targeting the Mail Merge to the non-macro document.

This is an incredibly basic question - but I just got a new machine and have been "upgraded" from Word 2003 to Word 2007.

In my job, I use current Word Documents, and add mergefields to them to pull data from our database and print completed documents. The original docs are/were normal Word documents, and that used to work just fine. In 2003, I simply hit the drop down menu and added fields. Easy! In 2007, under Mailings, the "Insert Merge Field" option is greyed out...and I have no idea why, or worse how to stop it from being so so that I can access it to drop in the appropriate database fields.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated, because as it stands, I am having to borrow colleague's computers to use their Word 2003 to get my job done. I am going to have to go back to 2003 if I can't figure this out. [mad]

Man plans. God laughs.

I am sorry...I tried to post in the wrong section and it won't let me delete it!

Rayna

Man plans. God laughs.

Hi rayna,

If you can see at least some of the mergefields in the document, perhaps the document is no longer connected to its data source and you'll need to re-connect the data source.

If you can't see any mergefields in the document, it's probably been converted from a mailmerge main document to a plain document. In that case, you'll have to re-establish it as a mailmerge main document.

[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back