Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail merge from Outlook contacts results in "Out of memory..." error

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGtips

Technical User
Nov 29, 2001
GB
I'm using Windows XP Pro with Office 2000. If I try and do a "Mail Merge" from Outlook Contacts to create labels in Word 2000 I get the "Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again" error.
As I've got 512MB RAM and not running any other applications at the time I guess it's not out of memory (Task manager shows over 256 available). I've tried shutting down non essential services etc., reinstalled Office and applied SP2 to no avail.
I used to merge from Outlook with no problems on the same PC before I migrated from Win2K.
Anyone got any ideas?

PG

PGtips:

I've got an FAQ in here on how to properly troubleshoot Word. Check it out--take the steps.

Hope it helps. dreamboat@nni.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Dreamboat

I've checked out your FAQ and tried all you suggest without success. I fear my problem might be in XP so I'm off to have a poke around there.

PG

Have you tried repairing Word and/or Outlook? Look under their respective Help menus for "Detect and repair" dreamboat@nni.com

I am having the same problem on an XP laptop with Office 2000. The system resources show lots of free memory although the CPU usage does spike when you invoke the merge command. Any ideas?

That would be normal, I think Pengwn. I don't monitor my CPU usage, but you're using two programs at the same time, and they're performing a third function together. Unless it's *killing* your PC, it's probably normal. Other than that, I can only think of my troubleshooting FAQ -or- try recreating the mailmerge document (if you keep it) -or- perhaps your data source needs some help. What is the data source for yours? dreamboat@nni.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back