Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail merge from Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

apkohn

Technical User
Nov 27, 2000
AU
I am writing a db for Access97, that in place of a report uses a Word97 Mail Merge to output the result (we need to email with the full formating, and Access97 strips format in rtf format, hence the mail merge).

Anyway, I am having two problems. Firstly, the Mail Merge options in Word only let me select an Access Database mdb, and not an mde. The query I want to access, and its associated forms and code (to limit return of query) are currently in the front end mde, and I don't want to have to out them in the backen mdb. Can I do this?

Secondly. Is there a way that I can get the forms/code etc... in Word rather than Access that will filter the code. I would like to make it that when the user opens the doc, that the form pops up in Wod rather than in Access (whcih is normally covered by the Word window). I don't mind placing the forms/code in the Word file, or the mde.

Thanks.

I've got a similar problem in that my client wants to email Access reports. I've had to re-create the report in Word and use query results from the .mdb file with mail merge so if you find a solution, please let me know. I did see a post on this site earlier today about using snapshot viewer to email access reports. It's not ideal but I'm going to try it out to avoid bringing Word into the equation. Snapshot viewer is apparently available as a download from..

Apkohn, you can send data to a Word document via Access and I am sure visa versa with VBA Code. I have done this before, but I can't remember the code. But it can be done. All I remember is that I had to set up bookmarks in the word document and then in Access reference what fields get placed in what bookmarks. If you email me, I will try and find an example.

Dawn

Just a follow up, I aborted the mail merge idea. Now I simply generate a new word doc, through automation, and place all the data in the doc via vba code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back