Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail merge emails and running totals

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliseFreedman

Programmer
Dec 6, 2002
GB
Hi there

I am trying to set up a system whereby I issue email invites for a e-learning training course to a list of recipients. I am comfortable with using mail merge. What I would like to ideally is each time, the mail merge is triggered, keep a running total of how many times each recipient has received the email. How would I go about doing this

I would assume you send an e-mail invite to a number of recipients for a particular e-learning training course. So, any particular recipient can receive one or several invite(s) to one or several training courses.

If you want to keep track of all of that, “a running total of how many times each recipient has received the email” may not be enough information to track. I would also track which training course each recipient has received the email for.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Hi,

I agree with Andy. You probably ought to keep more info like, the date/time of the eMail and the course id.

If it were me, I'd run this from an Excel workbook containing, an address list sheet/table, a course sheet/table and appending to a sent list sheet/table.

Your "running total" would be obtained from a simple query of your sent list table.

Would you also be tracking those recipients who register for any particular course and/or complete said course?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

It would only be one specific course. I would only need to track their clock number name, invite name and the date the invite was sent.I don’t need to track completions (that info is available from within the course software itself)just the invites issued.

You may: ‘each time, the mail merge is triggered’, insert a record into a table or write new row to an Excel worksheet with ‘their clock number name, invite name and the date the invite was sent’. Either way, it will be easy to get the ‘running total of how many times each recipient has received the email’ since you would have all needed data to do so.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back