Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Merge Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfreeze

Programmer
Sep 11, 2003
US
I have a problem that I am hoping someone can help me solve...

I have an Excel Document with about 5000 records. I am needing to write a letter in Word and use data from the Excel database in the document. Easy enough, the problem is this: I must include 2 pie charts on the document based on data from the Excel sheet. That is to say that just like the address and numeric data varies from letter to letter after the merge, the pie charts must be variable by record and each page of the Word document have its own, unique pie chart after the merge. I can do this in VB or in Fox, but my client MUST do this in Word and Excel. That is all that they have and they basically just want me to train them on how to do this. I am pretty sure that it can be done, even Microsoft's tech support said that it can be done, but I have yet to see it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark.

Thanks for the advice. However, doing it in Excel may be problematic... The letter I have to write has approximately 18 merge fields in it with about 3 paragraphs. Based on the configuration of and data placed in these merge fields (from the Excel database) the paragraph can be greatly varying in length. It word-wraps many times due to the extreme variance of the merged data. For example, one merge field has data that varies from 3 characters ("n/a") to this "Group Health Insurance, Group Dental Insurance, as well as many other benefits not listed in you employee handbook." Unless Excel can handle varible length formatting in paragraphs I'll still have to use word.

If Excel will handle this, could you give me a hint as to how to set it up?

Thanks,
Mark.

Sure.

In the paragraph cell...
Code:
="Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their "&Sheet2!A1&" ."
Sheet2 A1 could have

country
nation
old decrepid grandma

:)

Skip,