Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail forwarding inside the organisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitfixer

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
IE
We have 2 mail systems both Exchange 2003 on S2003R2,
one is a full SMTP server with about 100 users, on <ourdomain.com> the other is a POP server with about 500 users on <subdomain.ourdomain.com> and is accessed by off-site employees and students..we are an Education Service

I am moving some users over to the SMTP system, they will use rpc over http and I want to set up forwarding from their old POP account but it does not work, I have ceated a contact on the pop box with the new e-mail address and set the account to forward all mail, but when I test it I get an NDR "The mail account does not exist on the Organisation this message was sent to"

Is there a problem forwarding mail inside the same domain?
is it possible to forward from pop to SMTP?
or is there a smarter way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

FrankF
A+,Network+,MCSA

I think a little clarification would help.

As you desribed the systems:

Mail System 1.

Exchange 2003
Clients?

Mail System 2.
Exchange 2003
Clients - POP3

Mail Domain: ourdomain.com

So I have some questions.

1. What client do Mail system 1 users use?
2. Can you describe the AD setup? Are users of both mail systems in the same active directory forest?
3. Are you currently sharing the SMTP address space for ourdomain.com between the two systems?
4. Can you describe in detail current mail routing?

Thanks

XMSRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back