Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Folder access for Jr Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

glamprecht1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2007
US
Hello all....

Exchange 2003 Enterprise.

We sort through spam for the execs and Docs at our hospital and when we find good email that was caught in the spam filter; we put it in the users inbox in a folder created for that purpose.

I want to farm this out to my Jr admin so that he can share in the joy that this daily task brings to me. :)

Right now as a System admin I have full rights to these mail boxes and for the most part am connected to them all day long. This gives me full access to those mailboxes and all mail can be seen....

How can I set this up so that just one folder is accessible to the Jr admin? I have tried many different things and none seem to work. I either have no access or all access. The only way that I can get it to work is to allow full mailbox access to myself.

I am very, very new to exchange so any help would be tremendously appreciated

Hi,
Within Exchange you cannot centrally set permissions to specific users folders. So as you say. you can set full access or no access.
Which spam filter are you using?
I would recommend a manageable software spam solution such as Mailsweeper which will either allow you to release blocked mail directly to users inboxes or allow the users to manage spam themselves. It cannot be financially viable to have your system admin spending all day managing spam.

Cheers

stu

Thanks for the reply stusmi

My place of employment is rather unusual. We are a privately own hospital and what the owners and execs and even regular employees want, is what they get. On the other side of the coin, we are on the cutting edge of many forms of technology so the job has its perks.

Yes, that is why I want to farm this out to my Jr admin so that I will not have to continue to do it. I saw that inside of outlook that you can share a folder but that whole process seems to be missleading.

It's also part of your job, as an IT Manager, to educate the owner/business as to the best use of the available technoclogy - after all, they can't have what is impossible or too expensive to echieve, so there is already a degree of compromise regarding what their IT can do for them.

I agree with all of the above! You are being a very well paid spam filter. It is not, however, a shock considering the industry you are in! :)

For my company, our ISP intercepts email for our domain. If it is not spam, it is forwarded on to our mail server unhindered. If it is SPAM, it is forwarded to our server to a specific SPAM box.

Our receptionist sorts through this box, deleting emails en masse that have bogus "To:" addresses. If the "To:" is a valid internal address or name, the email is further scrutinized to see if it is worthy of forwarding on. If it is, the email is forwarded to the recipient. Otherwise, it is deleted. Set the box to display emails in groups by recipient and you can delete entire groups of bogus recipients in one shot.

Pretty quick process, actually. Your volume is probably a lot greater than ours though, so your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps...
Mike G. MCSE MCDBA CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back