Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail Database Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
When opening a mail file, this message appears: "This database is currently being used by someone else. In order to share a Notes database, all users must use a Domino Server instead of a File Server". This normally happens to 2-3 notes clients. What I do is to down the Domino and then run ncompact for the particular notes mail database.
After this process, the user will be able to open his mail file again. Has someone of you encountered the same error? What do you think is the cause of this? We are using Notes R5 running on NT Server 4.0 (PDC). Our clients are using 4.5.7
Thanks in advance...

I too am having this problem... We are running R% with Domino on nT 4.0.
Currrently using 5.0.9

If anyone can suggest an easy way to solve this, I would greatly appreciate it...

Will

We've seen this error when a user has gotten locked up and rebooted. The Notes server thinks they are already logged in. We have just had them wait 15-20 minutes and the server lets them back in.

Notes places a ~notes.lck file in the users home drive in the notes\data folder. If that file is present, they're locked out.

We're running R4.6 and R5 clients against an R5 server, run on a Domino server.

Hi all,

It turns out the Backup was the problem. We also use Back Up Exec. Apparently we have already updated Back Up Exec to fix this, but the problem still happens when someone is having mail delivered at the exact time the file is trying to be backed up. There doesn't seem to be a solution to this particular problem... Except to shut down the DOmino Server, and restart it. No reboot necessary.

Will

We had this problem for a while. It is indeed caused by the backup process running while Notes attempts to deliver a note to the database being backed up. What you need to do is insure Notes databases are NOT being locked while being backed up.

Whenever the backup software is updated, make sure you check to see that this LOCK does not get turned back on.

I encountered similar problem yesterday but soon fixed it. We run Domino R5 v5.0.2 and Veritas Backup Exec 7.3. Recently we encountered a lot of problems with the Domino servers shutting down during backup. The only fix available at the time was to reboot the server.

I was given the task of resolving the problem and soon realised that the version of Backup Exec we were running did not have a Domino aware gent installed. We purchased Lotus Notes Agent and Open File Option (OFO) serial numbers for the backup server.

After installing the Lotus Notes Agent and Open File Option (OFO) serial numbers on the backup server I realise that the file ‘~notes.lck’ gets skipped every time a backup is scheduled.

I later referred to the backup Exec manual and it eventually came to light that you need to install Agent Accelerator 7.3 on the Domino server being backed up. The Agent Accelerator gives you additional feature in backup Exec giving you a list of Domino database available on your Domino server and also accelerates backup time three times faster.

I encountered similar problem yesterday but soon fixed it. We run Domino R5 v5.0.2 and Veritas Backup Exec 7.3. Recently we encountered a lot of problems with the Domino servers shutting down during backup. The only fix available at the time was to reboot the server.

I was given the task of resolving the problem and soon realised that the version of Backup Exec we were running did not have a Domino aware gent installed. We purchased Lotus Notes Agent and Open File Option (OFO) serial numbers for the backup server.

After installing the Lotus Notes Agent and Open File Option (OFO) serial numbers on the backup server I realise that the file ‘~notes.lck’ gets skipped every time a backup is scheduled.

I later referred to the backup Exec manual and it eventually came to light that you need to install Agent Accelerator 7.3 on the Domino server being backed up. The Agent Accelerator gives you additional feature in backup Exec giving you a list of Domino database available on your Domino server and also accelerates backup time three times faster.

Installing Lotus Notes Agent and Open File Option (OFO) serial numbers on the backup server and Agent Accelerator 7.3 on the Domino server fixed the error.

i am also having this problem where on of my users consistantly gets locked from his mail, i also use the back up exec, someone had mentioned an update for the backup software, where can i get that update?

Has anyone tried to change how BackupExec makes backups? It is not a resolution to the issue, but it may be a workaround to it.

1. In BackupExec, select Tools, Options from the menu.
2. Select the Backup tab.
3. Change the "Backup Open files" settings to "Yes, without a lock."

Depending on the configuration, backup software locks files so that most recent changes can be backed up at that time. I don't feel it's necessary that the most recent mailbox is backed up because it's constantly being updated. If you feel the same way, try it and let me know if it resolves the issue.

Has anyone tried to change how BackupExec makes backups? It is not a resolution to the issue, but it may be a workaround to it.

1. In BackupExec, select Tools, Options from the menu.
2. Select the Backup tab.
3. Change the "Backup Open files" settings to "Yes, without a lock."

Depending on the configuration, backup software locks files so that most recent changes can be backed up at that time. I don't feel it's necessary that the most recent mailbox is backed up because it's constantly being updated. If you feel the same way, try it and let me know if it resolves the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back