Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail being removed from server when downloaded to client

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmeche

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2003
US
I am pretty much a newcomer to dealing with exchange, I was under the impression that using a client such as outlook you connect to the exhange database and the messages are downloaded to your client, but the message still resides on the server.

I have a new laptop that did have a couple of problems when going throught the SBS2003 client setup, but finally got it to through ok. Now on this laptop everytime I receive my messages they are removed from the server, so if I go to one of the other machines in the office I cannot get to all of my mail. The other laptop I was using worked the way I thought it should, I could read my mail, log on to another computer and still see all of the messages.

Am I correct in the my thinking of how this should function or is there some setup that I am missing.

Bret

Have you set-up a personal folder file (PST) on your laptop?

And if so, you may have asked for new email to be delivered to the PST file instead if mailbox (i.e does you inbox appear under the mailbox or in the personal folders).

Which version of Outlook are you using?

Depending on which version, there is an option to deliver new email to personal folder or to your mailbox in exchange, which will still be there when you log-on to another computer.

You got it, that is all it was, SBS normally sets this up properly.

Is it possible to prevent the mail from going into a PST using GPO ? Can we force this config. Also, in the case of POP, is it possible to prevent this other then having the client put a checkmark in Leave a copy of the message on server ?

The short answer is... No.

There is no group policy for Outlook or Exchange. I can't see how you can force the policy (maybe changing the security setting the registry may work, but this setting is user specific).

With regards to POP downloads, that is the only way unless you block access to POP3.

Have you thought of only using IMAP?

That sucks ! I wonder why MS didn't put that security feature so that admins can toggle it on/off. To me it sounds pretty important.

The Office Admin kit (I think) details the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook registry subkey. Set the value of DisablePst to 1 to prevent users from creating or opening Personal Folders (.pst) files from memory.

You can roll this out either using a .reg, a login script or a GPO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back