Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maglib 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosschops1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2008
GB
Guys,
I have a question i would like answering please.
If i were to create a subclient that backed up a CV_Magnetic folder to tape, would i be able to restore that data from tape if the maglib was deleted or disks failed?

Regards

I don't see why you couldn't but I think what you should be doing is backing up your client to CV_Magnetic (Primary copy) and adding an Aux Copy (to tape)into you Storage Policy. That way you backup to disk within your backup windows and that copy gets taken to tape after the backup.

Jon

If you was to browse the contents of that subclient then you would just see a bunch of folders with maglib files in

Only reason to do this would to have a secondary backup to rebuild your maglib if you lost it...you would just restore all the folders back to disk

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

It seems that you can't back up a cv_magnetic folder or its subfolders/files with a windows IDA. The subclient content is E:\archive which houses my exchange mailbox archiver data (1 Tb) but the job only takes a minute to run and if i view what has been backup up, only a few files in c:\prog..\galaxy have been backed up.
What IDA do i need to back up a maglib?

Thanks

Why would you back the CV_MAGNETIC folder? If you running Aux Copies the jobs on the Mag Library would be safe.

Maglib directories are excluded by default, you are better to look at the aux copy way as this will allow you to use restore the data from the media in a single restore attempt.

If you *really* want to look at replicating the data you may want to look at CDR and set up a replicated maglib, or if your daring use a robocopy script to create a copy that you could backup.
hope this helps
rgds rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back