Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix R4 Hybrid/PBX mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ded

Technical User
May 6, 2002
US
Have new Magix R4 that will not let me change mode to Hybrid/PBX. It will change to Behind Switch or Key mode. It may be in Permanent Key Mode according to documentation. How might I get it out if that is the case?

You need to power down, remove the processor module, and flip both of the two dip switches by the edge connector so that they face down (towards the board). If they are both facing up (away from the board) - they are set in permanent "key" mode.

Tried 2 switches down and didn't work. Tried 2 switches up and mode would change, or have I done something else. Could you also tell me what the 2 switches are for?
And thanks very much, you shortened my night.

The two dip switches are for setting the processor in either "permanent" key mode or "PBX/Hybrid" mode. Both switches have to be either "closed" or "open". If one switch is "open", but the other "closed" - the processor card will have problems or not work at all.

Both switches "closed" = permanent key mode.
Both switches "open" = PBX/Hybrid mode.

If the processor is in "permanent key mode", you would have the problem you first experienced - i.e., being unable to change modes through system programming.

In "PBX/Hybrid" mode - you can change modes through system programming.

On a Legend/Magix processor, I believe "open" = both switches down or towards the board edge.

There were certain states, (Washington I think) that had tarriffs set to charge extra for Hybid PBX Mode (ANYTHING WITH A POOL OF LINES), thus the need to be able to totally restrict the system from being able to do POOLS.

Now that's good history. It made no sense to to it otherwise, MM.

Pepperz@newper.net

Why would they charge a fee, for anything with a pool of lines?

Good question. Even the Partner system documention doesn't tell you how to change from hybrid PBX to pool. Their instructions are to notify the carrier if you do change it though.

Why is this such a big deal?

-Hal

Partner rel 6 docs have instructions on pooling the system.

You gotta' think back to when the Phone Company was a monolopy.

The real answer is:

Because they could.

The PUC doesn't write the tarriff, the Phone company does, and the PUC mearly rubber stamped it. (Kinda')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back