Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix PRI / Software Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleRhyme

Technical User
Mar 10, 2008
US
Hello all,
It's been a VERY long time since I've worked with a Magix AND a PRI.

Working on:
Magix: 2.2 v7.2
Processor: CKE5
HW VTG: 02

I'm adding a PRI card and porting over the POTS. Which PRI card should I add.....a 100 card? Do I need an external CSU?
Do I need to upgrade the processor or use a certain release PRI card combination to make this work best?

Also, Caller ID is very important to this customer. Will this support caller ID?

Thanks in advance!!

If it's a magix, the 100DCD is the way to go. It has a built-in CSU/DSU that can either be activated or de-activated depending upon if you need. Whether you need it depends upon how the service is being delivered. If it is a true PRI/T1 handoff you will need the CSU. If it is a router emulating a PRI you sometimes do not need it active. Caller ID number only works on the Magix with a PRI. Not name.

your biggest headache will be getting the proper protocol delivered by the service provider's end hardware.

Actually, the protocol should be the easiest part. I work for the LEC and this Magix is in one of our company buildings which houses many of our work groups like engineers, outside techs....etc. Working with our PRI provisioning group will hopefully be a piece of cake and I'm hearing that the Magix will only work with AT&T Custom.

This will be a true PRI, RT on the property, HDSL-2 span sending 10 digits from a 5ESS.

Any thoughts about upgrading the processor to a newer release? They are letting us buy whatever we want to make this PRI conversion happen.[thumbsup2]

Thanks!

You don't need to upgrade the processor, and I doubt you could even source the upgrade cards anymore. You could download the config to WinSPM, convert it to 4.0, purchase a new processor already on 4.0, and then upload the converted config. Other than All Ring Groups, I don't think you will gain any features, but check the Magix Pocket Guide to see what features were added with each release

Yeah, I knew about the ring groups.....could have used that feature last month when I was reconfiguring one of the workgroups after some personnel changes!!!

Didn't know WinSPM could convert. I will check it out.

I like this idea but will I be able to use the existing PCMCIA flash card with a 4.0 processor?

I just found this on eBay. A Merlin Magix Upgrade Card 11MX40-A1 700306681 System Software R4.0 V7.0

Link

Not sure if this is a virgin card but can these be used more than once? I thought it was a one time use only.

A few things to remember when you order the service:

MAGIX PRI is NI1 ONLY, and make sure the folks you order from REALLY AND TRULY UNDERSTAND THAT IT's NI1 ONLY. And be sure to hit them in the head with an ENGRAVED TOOL that states "IT'S NI1 ONLY"

They will try and try and continue to try to make it NI2, 'cause that's what THE REST OF THE WORLD IS.

Oh, and 6 months from now, when it quits working, you will find that during an UPGRADE, they will have changed it to NI2. And you will have to tell them AGAIN!

5ESS is a good CO type to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back