Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix PRI outgoing number substitution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcacc

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
US
Hopefully this makes sense to you all. Just put a PRI on a Magix 3.0, everything worked fine using a step by step procedure I found here.
Problem is there are 4 seperate 'departments' using the PRI. They would like to have the phone number people use to call each dept. sent out as caller ID whenever an ext. in that dept. calls someone. Currently, the main billing number, which happens to be the number to a dept., is sent by telco on every outbound call. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is possible, but with limitations. As long as the DID numbers have the same NXX, and all stations, digital and analogue, have DID numbers. You might want to read the Legend/Magix Feature Reference document. In it, this feature is covered, along with all the interactions. If you don't have it, download it for free from support.avaya.com.

Also, this subject have been covered on this forum several times, so do a search to find all the good info.

....JIM....

Ok, read the Feature Reference Doc. Read enuff old threads from search that I think I know what my limits are. I admit I don't know the Magix well but still have to work on it.
So, right now telco is sending the main billing number, also a dept. number, when an outbound call is made on the PRI. I want to change that to a calling group DID that I will send to vmail and play a menu referencing menu choices for the departments, 1 for this, 2 for that....
From what I read, I can send this DID number out by setting it in the 'Telephone Number To Send' in PRI programming, is this correct? And this must be done on each B-channel or does one entry apply to the whole span?
Also, I may have to get telco involved to allow this to happen, correct?
Thanks again!

As Jim said, those first few rules apply.

My two cents; Speaking in rather general terms, you would need to "force" certain extensions to use certain PRI Channels when they call out. And, as you stated above, you would need to send the number you want to have as the caller id for each set of extensions making these calls.

ALSO, you would need to insure that the Carrier will allow you to send the number.

Thanks for the input. My thought in my 2nd post was to just send out an unused DID number that the called parties would see and call back. Then send the 3 digits received from telco to vmail and the AA referencing the 4 dept's.
So, I'd just want to change the caller ID we're sending from the billing number to the DID I want to use for all outgoing calls.
Just need to verify if 'Telephone Number To Send' is the way to do this.
Sorry if I'm being repetitive.....

You would use the "Base Number with Station" to send the DID number of the station as the Caller ID, and that is ALL stations. DID or non-DID, those are the numbers sent!

....JIM....

That was not how I was thinking of how this would be implemented.

My thoughts were to send a separate number for each group of lines making these calls.

That's why I suggested to check with the Carrier to see if they would allow it.

Base Number with extension usually ONLY works with D-I-D extensions. In fact, I have had calls denied 'cause the extension trying to do this was not part of the D-I-D's being provided by the Carrier.

merlinman, I see what you're saying but that would mean giving each department access to only so many lines and I'm not sure if they would want that. Plus, once again, I have limited knowledge of the Magix and I think to do what you say would also require some ARS programming so the users in each department will only access those lines when they dial out. To you guys with experience on this system I'm sure it's nothing to program but I primarily work on Mitel but we still maintain the Partners and Magix.
I just want to send one number out that callers can call back and get an AA with menu options for the different departments. That will get me by for now but I would like to revisit this and make it work properly when I have time to play with it.
Soooo...I think you're saying I can put a number on each B-chan., break the B-channels up into groups, have each dept. use those lines with their number as CID thru ARS/line pools. Is that even remotely correct? Thanks

That is how I am proposing this be done.

But again, you have to know the Carrier will allow it, and just what numbers they will allow you to use.

My first thought was, "This will be more trouble than it's worth", and really, even though I haven't previously expressed that, I still feel that way about this.

LOL...my thoughts exactly.....but they had a T1 previously with no CID and now they have it and I have to deal with it somehow. Thanks guys for the input !!!

You can force "Number To Send" on individual DID trunk members and group them into a separate Pool.

By doing so, you can use ARS restrictions in a way so that Group A dials "9" and goes out over part of the PRI and it's outbound CID, while another group dials "9" yets goes out over another pooled group of PRI channels which also has it's own unique outbound CID. Two companies, two outbound identifiers, yet do not have to place calls differently from one another. The Magix is bomb, I tell ya.

This works OK with two companies, but when you try to split a Magix up for four companies (which I've done a number of times), it's probably simpler to put the appropriate Pool buttons for the individual extensions of a particularly company.

Tim Alberstein

Thanks, Tim! I just learned something new. I did not realize that when a TN was programmed on a B channel, that it is sent as CID! So, that could be a work-around for the situation where you have NON-DID stations in a system using ARS, etc. and following the steps you mentioned, super!

....JIM....

Totally welcome, my brother. Seems my biggest fight these days along these lines is the many carriers now refuse to allow the PBX to overwrite (or "synchronize") the CID data when the number sent doesn't belong to the customer. Ordinarily this prevents end customers from sending false CID for marketing purposes and such, but severely frustrates honest people like me who would prefer to market the toll-fee number and such. Stick with AT&T if you want flexibility, IMHO.

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back