Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magix/Legend PRI behind provider IAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackBasham

Vendor
Mar 30, 2010
US
Cannot get a PRI to work consistently with a PRI programmed out of a IAD device. Provider says they are taking errors beyond their IAD. They have it programmed as a 5 ess with AT&T custom protocol. It is an Adtran IAD, but I have had problem with Cisco device also in past and had to go to T1 instead of PRI.

Please post your config and provider config data so we can see what you have.

....JIM....

The Magix is set for 5ess. The provider is using an Adtran IAD. His settings are interface pri 1, isdn switch type 5ess, isdn name-delivery setup, calling-party name-facility-timeout 0, connect t1 0/2 tdm-group 1, digits transferred 4, role network b-channel-restarts enable, no shutdown.

voice trunk T02 type isdn, rsource-selection-linear ascending, caller-id-override number-inbound 4803773100 if-no-cpn, connect isdn-group 1, modempassthrough detection-time 1, t38, t38 error correction-redundancy, no echo-cancellation, rtp delay-mode adaptive, codec-group G729

Thanks for the Adtran stuff, but what about the Magix PRI config?

....JIM....

Not sure what you are looking for as far as Magix config. It is set for 5ess. The default protocol for 5ess is AT&T custom. It will not work with NI 1 nor NI 2. It does dial plan routing, so the extensions are matching at 4 digits. All 23 B-channels are programmed to B-channel group 1. Frame format is ESF, Suppression is B8ZS. If you are familiar with the Initial PRI Configuration aid prepared by Hardy Wright from AT&T/Avaya several years ago, I follow it step by step. It contains all the required programming and I have implemented close to 50 Legend/Magix pbx's using it. I have never had a problem when PRI is being delivered directly from CO, but this is my second attempt behind a IAD. The first one, we gave up and changed to standard T1 instead of PRI. That time the provider was XO and they used Cisco IAD.

Have you tried working with Adtrans, they have a really good support team, to see if provider is telling the truth

Remember that the communication between the CO (provider) and the Adtran is VoIP packets, which are then decoded to drop out as a PRI interface. I would insist that the provider have their higher level support group inspect the Adtran configuration and firmware levels in their device. It has been my experience that they don't always program the unit with all that is needed/required. That is why "they" are seeing issues beyond the Adtran, the Magix is having "issues" with the "d" channel messaging content as presented.

That is a big problem when these "providers" try to provision a switch from an IAD! The best thing is to have a DS1 all the way to the CO and forget this IAD crap!

Whatever happened to REAL telephony? IP can sure take something so simple and complicate it to no end! All for the sake of junk service to ripoff the public!

....JIM....

The problem is traditional telephony is going to be going away. The new 7ESS backbone to CO switches are Fiber connected IP switches, in addition to the "soft" switches that some LEC's & CLEC's are now using.
Even 20 years ago, how many people had Cell phones???
Compare Late 60's Star Trek to Star Trek Voyager, quantum Leap. Windows 95 to XP. 1,2,4,8,16,32,64......
Newer is not necessarily better, but it is different!
How many children today walk around playing with some idiot electronic device in their hands, as opposed to a coloring book and a box of Crayons??

Double check that you don't have the 24th trunk stuck in a pool. I know that's an obvious point, but I've done it once or twice on accident in spite of all the PRI circuits I've heated up over the years.

I just got through working with a fellow where certain DID calls were making it TO Magix and being failed there. The carrier was emulating a DMS-100 PRI via Adtran IAD to a Magix R2. Oh sure, calls would complete to a T-BERT alright, but something in D-Channel setup message was being tolerated by the tester, but not with the Magix.

Stranger yet was the problem didn't occur with every call! DID calls only failed when they happened to be placed from within the carrier's own network (AT&T->Time Warner=OK, Time Warner->Time Warner=funky setup msg). Yeah, it was a great way to start my week.

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back