Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magic Folders: Disappear then reappear after reboot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkirill

Technical User
Jun 15, 2002
US
Hi All -
I have a Dell server running Windows 2003 Server that serves files to desktop users. This server is connected to a MD3000i "SAN". About once a month on no discernable schedule, the files and folders in the mapped drives disappear to desktop clients. The mapped drive is still accessible, it just looks empty. A reboot of the server clears up the problem and the files are visible again. Disconnecting the share from the desktop and reconnecting does nothing.

The files are actually hosted on an MD3000i "SAN" and appear on the server via a "J: drive". The shares mapped by the desktops come from that J: drive. The folders are visible on the server even though they have disappeared from the desktops.

The setup is about 4 years old, there are no events that correspond to the disappearance.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue and might know where I should start looking. I'm flummoxed.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Much thanks!

Paul

Have you check the caching settings on the shares. I would turn them off to start with. If you were to disconnect the mapped drive and remapp the drive on the client does it still appear to be empty?

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back