Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro to open a changing set of URLs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2007
CA
I've written a macro to help generate a list of URLs (displayed one per cell in Excel). The number of URLs in the list and precise addresses will be different each time someone runs the macro depending on the input they give.

When navigated to, these addresses lead to a prompt for opening or saving a download. (The download will be either .csv or zipped (which should then be unzipped to csv)).

To begin with, how does one open URLs that aren't 'recently visited' or cached, etc.?

Once I can do that, I won't need to scan these webpages and extract info from them; rather, I'd like the downloads to be saved automatically.

Thank you

Marie

"Ibergekumene tzores iz gut zu dertseylin"
(Yiddish proverb: 'Troubles overcome are good to tell.' I thought it was a fitting proverb for this website! :D)

>how does one open URLs that aren't 'recently visited' or cached, etc.?

FollowHyperlink Method

If you intend to ftp files, maybe this could be of help thread708-970319

Thank you, Jerry. I am back on the trail now.

I'm using:
[ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=Range("F17"), NewWindow:=True

Now, the file will be csv Excel or it'll be zipped. Do you have any advice for how to handle this next step? Can I write it into the macro to unzip the file if it's zipped, (and save both the zipped and unzipped files)? Or if it's already unzipped, then to just go ahead and save that?

Do you have any experience with that?

Marie

Sorry no luck with FTPing

But if you need unzipping, a recent post thread707-1397152 has zipping (W2000 with Winzip32) and WinXP built in zipping to start with.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back